Canyon Coal, established in 2006, is a coal exploration and mining group of companies which operates in Gauteng and Mpumalanga, and has exploration projects across South Africa. The mining company produces in excess of 2.5 MT coal per annum from its various operations, which include the following: the Hakhano Colliery, the Singani Colliery, the Khanye Colliery and the Phalanndwa Colliery.
Of all the companies current operations, Hakhano Colliery in Mpumalanga is their flagship opencast mine, which produces more than 40 000 tons of ROM each month. The second largest operation is the Singani Colliery, also in Mpumalanga, which produces around 140 000 ton of ROM each month.
The Phalanndwa Colliery in Mpumalanga produces around 120 000 ton of ROM each month, and lastly the Khanye Colliery in Gauteng is estimated to produce around 200 000 ton of ROM each month.
ABOUT THE BURSARY PROGRAMME – FIELDS COVERED
Canyon Coal will be providing tertiary education funding to students pursuing their studies within the Mining Industry. Bursaries will be awarded to students within the Khanye Colliery area, within the following field of study:
- Analytical Chemistry
- Electrical Engineering
- Mechanical Engineering
- Mine Survey
- Environmental Management
- Human Resources
MORE ABOUT THE BURSARY PROGRAMME – COVERAGE VALUE & SELECTION
The bursary will cover the cost of tuition fees, accommodation and a prescribed book allowance.
Shortlisted candidates will be contacted – if you have not received any correspondence within 30 days of the application deadline, please regard your application as unsuccessful.
Applicants must satisfy the following minimum entry criteria before applying (please note that failure to satisfy all the requirements will lead to your application not being considered):
- South African citizen OR naturalized citizen
- Reside within the Bronkhorstspruit mining area
- Completed Matric
- Currently registered/ studying at a recognised tertiary institution in one of the aforementioned fields of study
- Achieved a minimum average of 65%
- Passed all courses/ subjects to date
- Proven financial need
- From a previously disadvantaged background
- *Preference will be given to female students, as well as those with disabilities
HOW TO APPLY FOR THE BURSARY
Download and complete the Canyon Coal Bursary Application Form (.pdf)
Submit clear copies of the following supporting documentation along with your completed application form (the submission of these documents is compulsory – if any items are missing, your application be disregarded):
- ID document (certified copy)
- Matric certificate (certified copy)
- Full tertiary academic record (certified copy)
- Proof of registration at tertiary institution
- Tertiary fee statement (on tertiary letterhead)
- Parents/ guardians/ spouse ID documents (certified copies)
- Parents/ guardians/ spouse proof of income (payslip if employed/ financial balance sheet if self-employed/ affidavit if unemployed – see page 8 of the application form for more details)
Applications must be submitted electronically via email to: [email protected]
(Insert the words “Canyon Coal Bursary Application – Your Full Name” in the email subject line).
CONTACT THE BURSARY PROVIDER
For any queries related to this bursary programme, please contact Canyon Coal directly:
Contact Person: Nomfundo Mkhwebani (Human Resources Officer)
Tel: 011 786 7996
Email: [email protected] / [email protected]